Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte


 



Book Title: Jane Eyre
Author:  Charlotte Bronte
Published By:  Bantam Classics
Date Published: September 30, 2003 (First published in 1847)
Genre: Classics, British Literature, Romance
Pages: 493
Recommended Age: Young Adults, Adults
Read and Reviewed By:  Me
Rating: B/4




I borrowed this book from the library.  I also own it on my Kindle.

Summary:
Jane Eyre is a woman who spent the first 10 years of her life with an aunt who didn’t want her around, and then she was sent to a deplorable boarding school.  At the young age of twenty, Jane takes a governess position working for arrogant Mr. Rochester teaching his adoptive French daughter.  Jane eventually falls in love with her employer, which leads her on a journey of self discovery and finding family she never dreamed of having.


My Thoughts:
I enjoyed the book very much. I liked that it was clearly written.  I did not feel like I was trudging through a swamp to get an idea of what was going on.  Jane Eyre was clear and precise.  I also liked how she would talk to us, the readers; as if she was writing her memoirs and knew someone would be reading the book.

Charlotte Bronte did a wonderful job telling how two unlikely people with two different personalities and a huge age gap can fall in love.  She also threw in a bit of mystery and some obstacles for the two love birds, making the path to the altar not an easy one for the two.  I gave Jane Eyre four stars and a grade of B.  If you like the Classics and romance novels, I recommend reading Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.



Parents:
Language: None
Adult Content: None
Violence: None



No comments:

Post a Comment