Monday, April 16, 2012

Forever Knight: A Stirring of Dust, by Susan Sizemore


 


Book Title: Forever Knight: A Stirring of Dust
Author: Susan Sizemore
Published By: The Berkley Publishing Company
Date Published: April 1987
Genre: Fan Fiction,  Paranormal, Vampires
Pages: 252
Recommended Age: Adults
Read & Reviewed By: Me
Rating: C/3





I got the book from the library.

Summary:
Nick Knight is a 800 year old vampire who is a homicide detective on the night shift in Toronto. He has come across a gruesome and bizarre case: murder victims all found decapitated. Are they committed by a man recently released from prison who had killed his wife the same way, or are they committed by one of his own kind?


My Thoughts:
I usually do not read fan faction.  There are very few shows I will read the books that were based on them.  Since I recall loving the short-lived drama, Forever Knight when it was on in the nineties and have started watching the DVDs from of the show recently, I decided to pick up the first book written on the series.  I enjoyed reading this book.  It was closely knitted to the TV show, even keeping to the fact that Nick’s first partner died in an airplane bombing and has a new partner. Her name is Tracy Vetter and she is blind as a bat.  What bugs me is how his partner Tracy can hang out with a vampire, Vachon, but she can’t see that her own partner, Nick is a vampire. This just shows me that humans see what they want to see and the writers of the TV and book series knew this. 

I gave A Stirring of Dust a grade of C and three stars.  As much as I liked it, I believe the story line could have been better written.  It could have been more horrifying or maybe just more familiar.  Maybe I read the book before I had watched the episodes where Tracy and Vachon came onto the scene and had my memory refreshed.  As it stood, I couldn’t picture in my head the newer characters. Plus, my little annoyance with Tracy may have played a part as well.  If you enjoy reading about vampires and loved the TV series Forever Knight, I recommend reading A Stirring of Dust, the first book in a line of three books that were written based on the TV series.



Parents:
Language: No
Adult Content: Adult Subject Matter, Heavy topics
Violence: Any violent scenes or acts and their intensity


No comments:

Post a Comment