Thursday, February 16, 2012

Breakfast with the Pope. by Susan Vigilante


 

Breakfast with the Pope
Author: Susan Vigilante
Published By: Richard Vigilante Books  
Date Published: November 17, 2010
Genre: Christian Non-fiction, Memoirs
Pages: 256
Recommended Age: Adults
Read & Reviewed By: Me
Rating: B/4


 "A Christian Eat Pray Love" inside flap




I borrowed this book from the library

Summary:
Susan Vigilante is a Catholic wife who is also a struggling writer and is trying to get pregnant.  Being one of the few Catholic women who follow the Church’s laws, she refuses to get pregnant in vitro or any other medically enhanced way.  She seeks the promise of God’s love through personal relationships with the people in her life and takes a pilgrimage to Rome, where she happens to find herself having breakfast with Pope John Paul II.

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed reading Susan Vigilante’s book.  My heart went out her.  I understood her desire for wanting a baby as I want kids of my own some day.  What I didn’t understand was why she wouldn’t allow doctors help her and husband?  Being a Christian myself and part of the large percentage of Christian women who do not let the Church dictate what I do with my body, I would have sought all the medical help I could.  I believe God gave the doctors the knowledge for us to use and I will use it for all it’s worth.

I also didn’t like how her friends turned on her when she decided to write a book about her journey.  The book didn’t show them in a bad light until they demanded she did not write the book.  I found that it to be selfish of them to tell Vigilante not to share her memoirs...and un-Christian. 

But besides that, I loved reading her story and the path she took in finding the peace in herself she sought.  I gave Breakfast with the Pope four stars and a grade of B because it was well written and easy to read.  If you like memoirs like Eat, Pray and Love I recommend Breakfast with the Pope.


Parents:
Language: Clean language
Adult Content: None
Violence: None


No comments:

Post a Comment