Friday, February 10, 2012

To Seduce an Earl, by Lori Brighton


 
Book Title: To Seduce an Earl
Author: Lori Brighton
Published By:
Genre: Historical Romance
Date Published: July 25, 2011
Pages: 287
Recommended Age: Mature Adults
Read and reviewed By: Me
Rating: B/4

 "[...]Fans of Johanna Lindsey will enjoy this work, which furthers the idea that self-publishing is not something to scoff at." — Library Journal (via Goodreads)



 I received this book from Amazon.  It was one of Amazon’s free Kindle books they were giving away on a particular day.

Summary:
Twenty-something year old Alex was raised against his will in a brothel that is aimed at pleasing women  since he was 13 years old.  Grace, being a lover of books and treasure hunting, was sent to this brothel by her step-brother, believing she was going to a hotel to retrieve a rare book from a gentleman. When she realizes where she is at and the trick that was played on her she ran from Alex’s room angry and embarrassed.

Alex can’t stop thinking of Grace and the one kiss they shared before she pushed him away, and Grace can’t stop thinking of Alex and how he made her feel.  When she realizes that the Earl she wants to marry won’t pay any attention to her because she is too innocent and wants a woman who isn’t afraid to flirt and be forward, she thinks of Alex and asks him to teach her how to kiss and flirt. With the mystery surrounding why Alex is being held prisoner and forced to sell his services to women and the true reason why her step-brother had sent her to the house of ill repute comes to the surface the two fall in love.


My Thoughts:
I enjoyed this book because it kept me intrigued.  Not only was it a romance book but it had a lot of drama and action.  I didn’t like that Alex’s favorite word was the F-Bomb, but considering the lifestyle he has lived it wouldn’t be realistic if had a pristine clean demeanor.  I also didn’t like the way his father asked him to never come back around after they found each other, stating that Alex would ruin his little brother’s reputation, but I must consider the era and how back then one person’s action reflected on the whole family.

I gave this book four stars and a grade of B because I loved how the storyline flowed and pulled me in.  What got me to download this book onto my Kindle DX in the first place was the story line about a male prostitute in a brothel geared toward pleasing woman.  I never knew such a place existed for the women of that era.  Also, when the author, Lori Brighton was compared to Johanna Lindsey I had to read the book for myself as I do love the work of Lindsey. Now that I read a book by Brighton I can see that she is very talented in her story-telling of that particular era and I can’t wait to read another one of her books.


Language: Some swear words, derogatory terms, F-Bomb is dropped a lot
Adult Content: Sexual Content Adult Subject Matter
Violence: Some fist fighting and one gun fight



No comments:

Post a Comment