Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Teresa of Avila: The Progress of a Soul, by Alfred A. Knopf



 



Book Title: Teresa of Avila: The Progress of a Soul
Author: Cathleen Medwick
Published By: Alfred A. Knopf
Date Published: November 16, 1999
Genre: Biography, Religious
Pages: 304
Recommended Age: Adults
Read and Reviewed By: Me
Rating: 4/B




 I borrowed this book from the Sisters of Notre Dame Education Center’s library

Summary:
Teresa de Ahumanda escaping the confines of marriage, one of the two choices a woman has in the 16th century, becomes a nun.  Taking the name Teresa de Jesus sets out to reform the Carmelites and opening many Discalced (barefoot) Carmelite convents and Friaries.


My Thoughts:
I enjoyed this book very much.  It told the story of a strong, independent woman.  The story flowed easy.  It was not hard to read, as some biographies are. I had the book read in two weeks time compared to the two months it takes me to struggle through a biography. I came to like and admire St. Teresa of Avila; she is a very determined woman.  She knows want she wants and goes after it, even in time women just are not supposed to be strong and independent. For all these reasons, I gave this book four stars and a grade of B.  If you like reading biographies or you are just interested in reading about some of the saints (like I am) I recommend Teresa of Avila: The Progress of a Soul by Alfred A. Knopf. 



Parents:
Language: None
Adult Content: None
Violence: None


No comments:

Post a Comment