Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The Courtship of Nellie Fisher, by Beverly Lewis



 


Book Title: The Courtship of Nellie Fisher
Author: Beverly Lewis
Published By: Bethany House Publishers
Genre: Christian fiction, Amish Romance, Historical fiction 
Date Published:  April 1, 2012
Pages: 699
Recommended Age: Young Adult, Adult
Read & Reviewed By:  Me
Rating: A/5





I borrowed this book from the library.


Summary:
During the fall of 1966 in the town of Honeybrook, the Old Order Amish community finds themselves on opposite sides of an everlasting divide.  It couldn’t come at a worse time for Nellie Fisher and her beau Caleb Yoder.


My Thoughts:
This book was three books in one. It is a three book trilogy consisting of The Parting, The Forbidden, and The Longing.   I believe it was well written and Beverly Lewis did her research well.  I was even compelled to get on the internet to research the Amish, wanting to know the differences between the Old Order; The New Order; the Beach Amish; and the Mennonites.  I also wanted to learn when they had all split from the Old Order. I think an author has done an excellent job when she encourages the reader to some research of their own.

As for the story line, it was very touching.  I cried at the points where the characters tell how the Word of God saved them. It was very moving for a fellow Christian.  There was one character I did not like and that was Caleb Yoder’s father.  He was domineering over his family, telling his children who they can and cannot be friends with or marry.  I did like Nellie’s father.  He was very compassionate with his girls and put his foot down when it was truly necessary.  A reader is able to fall into the book (or the three books, for the matter) and root for the heroine and some of the other characters.

I really enjoyed this book and may read it again someday, and for this reason I give it five stars and a grade of an A.  If you love Amish romances or are interested in learning about the Amish divided through fictional storytelling, I recommend The Courtship of Nellie Fisher by Beverly Lewis.



Parents:
Language: None
Adult Content: None
Violence: None


No comments:

Post a Comment