Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Autumn Winds by Charlotte Hubbard




Autumn Winds
Author: Charlotte Hubbard
Published By:  Zebra
Date Published: September 4th, 2012
Pages: 324
Recommended Age: Adult
Reviewed By:  Me (almost three years ago for another site)
Rating: B/4




This book I borrowed from the library.

Summary:
A stranger comes to the Amish town of Willow Ridge by the name of Ben Hooley; he is a blacksmith baptized in the Old Order.  Miram Lantz, an Amish widow who runs the Sweet Seasons Bakery at first is weary of the newcomer, but as she gets to know the newcomer and finds him kind-hearted she starts to fall in love with him. With Bishop Knepp relentlessly pursuing her to marry him and threatening to take everything that she cares about away, she must decide if she should listen to her heart and find the happiness she craves.

My Thoughts:
I quite enjoyed this book.  I never read an Amish love story before but I saw it sitting on the New Arrivals shelf at the library and thought it sounded interesting.  It turns out it was the second book in the Seasons of the Heart series, but since the first book was about a different couple in Willow Ridge I was never at a lost for what was happening, plus the author filled in tidbits about the characters and how they were related to Miram so the reader wouldn’t be lost if they had not read Summer of Secrets first.

I found it well written, and it seems Charlotte Hubbard had done a quite an extensive research on the Amish community west of the Mississippi River. I learned things about the Amish I never before, like they did  follow the new testament out of the King James bible and they have Bishops, all quite interesting.

I liked the character of Miram.  She was a strong woman who followed her own heart and won’t let anyone, not even the bishop, tell her what she should do if it didn’t feel right to her.  I did not care for Bishop Knepp at all.  He was a hypocrite to his community and would be very devious in order to get his way.  I was sad to realize that they couldn’t impeach him or do something to remove him from the position of Bishop.

I truly enjoyed this book; to the point I had stayed up until two in the morning trying to finish it; therefore, I gave Autumn Winds four stars and a grade of B. I recommend reading Autumn Winds by Charlotte Hubbard, especially if you are a fan of Amish romances.  I never thought I would like Amish romances and actually thought I would be let down by this book, but thanks to Hubbard I will be reading more Amish romances.

Parents:
Language: None
Adult Content: None

Violence: None




No comments:

Post a Comment