Monday, December 28, 2015

The Other Wes Moore by Wes Moore




The Other Wes Moore
Author: Wes Moore
Published By: Spiegel & Grau
Date Published: April 27, 2010
Genre: Autobiography/Biography, non-fiction
Pages: 233
Recommended Age: Young Adults, Adults
Reviewed By: Me
Rating: C/3





I borrowed this book from the library.

Summary:
Two boys with the same name are born within blocks of each other.  One grew up to be an honored veteran that works in the White House, while the other is serving a life sentence for murder.


My Thoughts:
I liked the way Wes Moore told his story and the story of the other Wes Moore. The way Moore told the stories made the book flow nicely.

 I personally think the other Wes’s mother should be a shamed of herself by being more concern with how young she still looked and about going to the clubs to pick up a new boyfriend than being with her two boys. It made me dislike her right from the start. I believed that played a lot in the direction her sons took. 

They had no true guidance or decent role models, but at the same Wes should be hold accountable for his own actions. He knew right from wrong and yet he still chose the immoral path. His brother Tony disgusts me with his lack of remorse, which makes me wonder if he even has a conscience.

I liked Moore’s mother because she was so determined that he get on the right tracked that she begged for donations to send him to a good military school when she saw the path he was heading down. She risked her pride to save her son. That’s love.

I gave this book three stars and a grade of C because I liked this book, but it did nothing for me. It did not move me emotionally in any way.  I did like that in the epilogue Mr. Moore told us what had become of the key players in both of the boys’ lives. It tied up many close ends.


Parents:
Language: Some swear words
Adult Content: lots of drug use and selling of drugs, Adult Subject Matter, Heavy topics

Violence: gang violence, shoot outs.


No comments:

Post a Comment